Criminal Assault Compensation Claims

If you or a family member have suffered a serious injury following criminal assault, we can help you claim for compensation.

To speak to us call 01207.655178 

If you have been injured following a criminal assault, for example violent mugging, sexual assault or unprovoked attack, you may be able to pursue a claim for damages:

  • Through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authorities (CICA)
  • Through the courts in a civil claim for damages

We have experience dealing with criminal assault claims and particularly negotiating procedures involving the government-funded CICA scheme.

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authorities (CICA)

CICA is a government organisation that can pay compensation to people who have been physically or mentally injured as a blameless victim of a violent crime, including terrorist attack. Awards range from £1,000 to £500,000.

Financial awards can be made:

  • To recognise physical and mental injuries due to criminal assault.
  • In certain circumstances, to obtain compensation for past or future lost earnings or special expenses caused by such a crime.
  • For bereavement as a result of a criminal assault, including, in some cases, compensation for the lost earnings of the person who has been killed.

CICA guidelines include:

  • Your injury must have been caused by a criminal assault in England, Scotland or Wales (Northern Ireland has its own scheme).
  • Your compensation application must be lodged within two years of the assault, although this is discretionary and can be waived.
  • You must have reported the criminal assault to the police and fully co-operated with them.
  • The state will only provide compensation if your injuries exceed the £1,000 tariff.

To be successful in any CICA compensation claim, you must be able to prove that you are the innocent victim of a violent crime.

If CICA considers you provoked or willingly participated in the criminal assault, it could refuse or reduce personal injury compensation. The same is true if you have a record of violence or a criminal conviction.

However, assault is not just a criminal offence but it is possible to bring a civil claim for assault/trespass and also for false imprisonment. 

A civil compensation claim could be brought someone who assaults another person 

In additional to basic damages if successful,  there could potentially be ‘aggravated damages’ awarded, although that is rare.

Aggravated damages may be sought simply for the manner of the assault, particularly when it causes injury to someone’s pride and dignity and give rise to humiliation, distress, insult or pain. 

Close Menu