Can I Bring My Parents To Live In UK?

To qualify for an Adult/Elderly Dependent Relative visa the family member(s) must demonstrate that:
  • That as a result of age, illness or disability they require long-term personal care;
  • They (even with the help of the sponsor), are unable to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living, because:
  • It is not available and there is no person in the home country who can reasonably provide the care; or
  • It is not affordable; and 
  • They can and will be maintained and accommodated without recourse to public funds.

Bringing your parents to the UK can be difficult, but it can be done under the right circumstances.

If you are an adult, the only way to bring your parents over to the UK is if they require daily care, and you plan to provide it. If you meet this requirement, your parents can fill out a visa application, which may allow them to reside permanently in the UK with you!

For your parents to come over, you must be a permanent resident in the U.K. That means that you need to have either UK citizenship, permanent leave to remain, permanent residency, refugee status, or humanitarian protection. This means that if you are legally staying in the UK on a semi-permanent basis, you may be able to bring your parents over.

The main way you can bring over your parents is if they need assistance with daily care tasks, including household tasks, personal hygiene tasks, and/or medical tasks. Your parents must need this care because of illness, disability, or age. Also, they must not be able to get this care where they are living right now, which includes not having any relatives there who can provide that support. Exceptions may also be made if care is not affordable where they reside

You should have enough money to support your parents for 5 years. This means, you’ll need to show you have sufficient income to provide continuing support for your relatives. You must not use public funds to provide this support. Generally, you must prove you can at least meet the threshold of making £18,600 pa, which is the current amount set by the UK Government, where you are not dependent on the state for things like a housing credit or tax credits.

Your parents will need their current passports, as well as any previous passports. If they have biometric residence permits, they should provide those, as well.

You will need to provide proof of relationship, you will need your birth certificate to show they are your parents. If you are adopted you will need to show an Adoption certificate.

If you don’t have a copy of your birth certificate, you can request one from the country you were born in. You will need to contact that government.

You will need to request a health certification from your parents’ doctor or health professional. Your parents must not be able to live on their own, and a doctor or other health professional must certify this. You will need to submit this certification with your parents’ application.

If they live in a country where there is tuberculosis, they will also need to send in test results showing they don’t have the disease. You can find the list of countries that have this requirement here:

Typically, your parents will need to do the application themselves. They need to add information about you, such as what kind of residency you have, your date of birth, your nationality, and your address. They can create an account to file at

The Appendix will go into depth about the type of care your parents need, what kind of care they’re getting now, and why they need care from you. They’ll also need to add information about your financial status and how you will be able to provide for them. 

You will have to pay a visa application fee. CLICK HERE 

Filing an appeal if your parents are denied entrance. Your parents have a right to appeal the decision if their visa application is refused. Your parents must appeal within 28 days of receiving a refusal letter using the IAFT-6 appeal form, which you can find at

A fee has be paid for an appeal and the fee will depend on whether you ask for a paper hearing or an oral hearing. For a paper hearing, the appeal is decided on the documents which you and your parents provide. 

If I can assist call 0191.4862799 or email 

Close Menu